Monday, November 03, 2008

Nov 2008

Lots of activity in October; around the idea of what Discharge 5 should be - about who's in and who's out; the issue of the myspace; the chapbook idea; Kek's photo-book idea. At last count, of the 37 people with access to Discharge 4, some 27 have expressed interest in remaining with the blog. Thanks to all. This must surely be good news; especially so as Discharge itself has been up and running for four years - a fact I didn't know until CK mentioned it in a recent email. I am hoping that within each of those personal declarations is the commitment to really get stuck into taking Discharge forward. But of course there will be variation - and that is fine and to be celebrated. What matters most is that Discharge itself feels vital and interesting.

It seems Discharge 4 will run until the end of 2008 - at Lazare's suggestion, I believe. I agree with this plan myself. Discharge 5 will emerge then like twenty-seven (plus) New Year resolutions!

I'm assuming CJ will set-up the new blog; just as I'm assuming he is inviting ideas and suggestions about what it might look and feel like.

There's the myspace page, too. Suggestions invited.

There's also the chapbook/Kek-style photo-book. Who's kicking it off? CJ has contacts and facilities which can be used for the printing and production of this. That's a fantastic help.

The future is and must be made bright.

Thanks & best wishes,

Anthony

54 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

The future is bright and I feel fired up again. The chapbook seems to be, as Kek says, lurching into shape. I am very excited by the prospect of seeing the team in print.
I will get together a comprehensive list that profiles team members against their respective E-mail addresses so that you can easily spot who is who. This would probably benefit others as well as they won't know who is who. Another way to do this is to go into the 'permissions' section of discharge where it clearly identifies the team members.

Yep, I am so excited I could kiss Senator Obama.

Aaron Held said...

If I hear barack Obama or the word change one more time my heads gonna explode!


....Hey I've been absent on the discharge myspace, I apologize and I take it everyone would like their name with the post? I had no idea that people cared, I will start putting names with the post so we can tell who it's by, it was only my own laziness that kept me from doing it.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

aaron>>>Please don't concern yourself. We are all grateful to you for doing what you do. As far as I am aware you are 'flying solo' on myspace and I for one am very glad that you show such passion.

murmurists said...

I echo CJ's comments, Aaron. Thanks for keeping it alive. You've been anything but lazy. Everyone who associates with Discharge owes you a big thanks ... so here's mine: THANKS

And cheers CJ. The list will make connections, I'm sure. Glad you are enthusiastic about D5. I am, too.

Robert said...

heya, i want back in!

got room for one more?

may as well face up to the fact that im hooked on this place

and yeah, fired up again

(sorry for not responding sooner...my web presence is minimal right now, as iam busy working all the time and relocating to a new city)

I am not Kek-w said...

Rob! Sit dn and take yr coat off.

"If I hear barack Obama or the word change one more time my heads gonna explode!" - LOL! Me too...who wants to make an Obama gif animation hologram with the words "Same Old...Same Old..." flashing on and off - lol. This is the time to make ourselves heard. Swim against the flow, all of you.

Aaron - yr a dude. Keep creating. Yr the least lazy person I could imagine.

Chapbook: "Who's kicking it off?" - I started scribbling some notes for a short text-piece designed to fit on A5-ish type space, ie short and sweet. If we're going for a Duologues approach/theme, then would be great to have a partner, preferably someone I've never worked w/ before - a visual artist ooooooorrrr...a writer who's never done visuals before - someone to respond to my text n start the first duologue. Volunteers, anyone - I won't bite lol...someone throw their keys into the fruit-bowl...

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Duowotsits. sound very cool to me. Kek and Doriandra maybe or Kek and Robert?

So good to hear that Robert is back!!

Jaie said...

there is a piece to welcome rob back by me!

John Moore Williams said...

cor - I'd forgotten about the duolouges bits. anyone up to work with me? if not i'll just mutter "fecky'all" and tottle off to vomit a bit of both work and image ... but I'd rather do a vispo piece to accompany/comment on/revector either a text or image artist ...

John Moore Williams said...

erm ... speaking of ulterior outlets ... do weez have a facebook page yet? i know we're on the blog network, but ...

doriandra said...

an open page- a brilliantly white book.... on ward and upward.

I am not Kek-w said...

As debated in the email strand, either solo, duo, en masse...whatever the collectiv decides is fine by me.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Oh boy!
There, I've said it. That name again. The name of the man who is going to save the world.
Do we care?
No, we do not.
Heard it all before.
ENOUGH! Back to discharge.
My idea was to run with the first chapbook with me as editor then, on the next pass the task over to some other poor bugger!
Volounters please.
I was going to name the first chapbook (inspired by murmurists saying he lived near to Alan Moore) 'Be Serpentine the Hyde'(this from something Moore wrote in The League of Extraordinary Gentleman).
It will have little or no theme apart from featuring creators who started with, as near as damn it, the first discharge. cocaine jesus, doriandra, murmurists, junior, lazare etc.
After that it will go wherever we want to take it.
IF this is okay with everyone? Please let me know.
I like the idea of having themes and also the idea of having team-ups/collaborations.
I think we need to get things moving though so start sending me through, if this proposal is acceptable, your bits.
I quite fancy seeing Juniors bits as an image!!

doriandra said...

i would be happy to seize the horns on Chapbook 2- play editor as it were. if elected, i would CHANGE everyones taxes- oops, sorry.. if elected, i might choose The Exquisite Corpse as a thematic waddle, thereby using that old world art style as a way to get to know the Discharge neighbors- like Kek-w was mentioning in the Duologues posting. pairing up unsuspecting victims and then craning our necks at the vernacular art car wreck.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I would love to see Doriandra as Editor on the next chapbook. Mayhem and anarchy would run riot as would a bag of fun knowing the good lady.
Art car wreck is what discharge is.

When do we start this thing rolling?

I have taken the liberty to start a few pages for the chapbook, 1 to 7 to be truthful but feel less than inclined to continue as no one has said it is okay for me to this?

As I said previously, the only reason I put myself forward to chapbook one is from ahistorical perspective. I would have liked to have started with those dischargers who were there at the start, including Stickleback2, Doriandra, ME!, Murmurists, Lazare, Junior and so on. There is a lot of old stuff that I would have liked to have seen 'documented' as it were befor e we go off on our roller coaster ride toward the final art car wreck.

Let me know if this is okay and what you think of it.

I also, beleive that Lee Kwo should have a go at editing as some of his ideas are pretty (oh god I am going to sound so old here) FAR OUT; leftfield as it were.

Of course Murmurists should be another as the current discharge owes a lot to him, to his highly individual and thoroughly modern way of doing...stuff.

murmurists said...

Forgive late reply CJ. (I've been away for the weekend: The 'Drifting & Tilting: Songs of Scott Walker' thing at the Barbican. Words fail me... utterly astounding; I'd waited so long.)

Anyway.....

As far as I'm concerned - with my one 'vote' - I say go with the CJ-instigated chapbook. In the end, if we are to develop and produce things, members just have to jump in. Collectives are monolithic; and one simply cannot ask everyone about every little move. How about, as a practical strategy to get things moving, if we say if no-one or too-few comment on what one puts here, what one proposes here, then the proposer is free to go ahead? Really, I cannot see how we can get going otherwise. So, I'm for supporting anyone who is motivated enough to do the work - and letting the logic of that be our guide; rather than endlessly procrastinating because we are trying to motivate others into allowing the rest to feel like this is a democracy. Discharge is a democracy - anyone can say and do anything; but in a democracy one has to be active and interested, of course. Silence is not an active vote.

Let's banish the grey of myriad false-starts and half-made ideas and get on with it.

This particular chapbook is your instigation, CJ; just let me know what you'd like me to do to help. I'm up for whatever. And, in my view, all that old stuff is there for the taking. If it's material by currently non-members then ask, of course, and credit appropriately; but, speaking only for myself, rip and burn my old mumblings as you like. The only guiding principle, in my view, is to meaningfully credit people's work.

And yes, Lee Kwo - definitely; I'd love to see that.

Cheers for your kind words in my direction, CJ. It is my intention to get stuck into D5 and all its offshoots.

Best wishes

murmurists said...

And PS: Doriandra ... similarly, yes.

murmurists said...

And I'm fine with surrendering to the chaos ... duologues, manylogues, whatever. It'll all get twisted and such in any case.

Get the ball(s) rolling - is my view.

I am not Kek-w said...

So, just to clarify 100%, CJ - you are currently assembling the first chapbook from archives of early Discharge, so no need to mail in any contributions....

jase daniels said...

I am on board with CJ doing the first and Doriandra doing the second. Can not wait to hold the outcomes in my "hot little throbbers".

you have my email, and I check Discharge and this place pretty much everyday, so if you need anything from me just give me a shout.

I know silence is not an active roll, or helpful or constructive, but I have never been one to jump in and throw my 2Ps around... fear of revealing my retardation I guess :) ...that and not wanting to disrupt any progress with unneccesary quibbles and such.

I am happy to cough up some new work if it is needed, and anything I have posted in the past is up for grabs.

shall be sitting in the cupboard under the stairs ready and waiting for the call to action.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Kek>>>Yes indeed, although I may 'lift a few bits of yours and others and put them into the first issue. You are right though, I will be concentrating on the original members input so will not need anything new this time round.

Next time though....be ready!

Ruela said...

Whatever the collectiv decides is fine by me too.



Go on...

doriandra said...

ah yes- the giant balls of action are rolling..i'm hoping my mental spine gets crushed in the glorious process.
yea-ha.

murmurists said...

Hhhmmmh ... Not 100% sure the first move in the chapbook direction should have been a wholly historical venture. I hadn't realised you meant that, CJ. Ideally, I think the first move should have represented the very now of where Discharge is at; otherwise one risks disenfranchising those good enough to have signed on for D5. I personally think cherrypicking those from D5 - you mention Kek - could further complicate this. I hope no-one feels left-out. But that said, at least there is something in the wind; and that is a decisive step forward, for sure.

Doriandra ... Can I ask you do you plan a similarly historical overview? Do you have any ideas as what you would do for CB2?

Jaie ... No offence was meant with my getting active and not remaining silent comment. I was more drawing attention to the fact that we could wait around forever for people to pipe-up and 'vote'; and that there is always that assumption by those making all the noise that those being silent are being active in their silence. But that's democracy - a flawed beast, for sure.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

PS. Very envious of your Scott Walker experience. sounds like the ideal way, apart from making love with a beautiful woman, to spend an evening.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Murmurists>>>In fairness, I hadn't properly thought that through. Certainly not my intention to leave anyone off nor disenfranchise anyone. I did want to give a historical perspective to the first chapbook but not in the way that possibly I have made it seem. I will be on the first one (although quite likely not on the next or even the one after that) as this will be up to the incumbent 'editor' to decide. In my mind I have taken, as a start, an old piece of mine that covers some six pages. This may seem ego- centric but truly is not my intention. As a character, an individual, I like things that have a certain 'shock element' and that is why I have selected myself to begin with; and because I like the piece very much and because I was one of the first here. The next image and set of words are Doriandra's and is not 'historical' in its chronology as it is the recent nude shot of the good lady. However, I thought it only right and proper that she and I be there as it was we two that started the process in the first place.
I accept what you say about leaving people out but feel I have to say that people being left off could happen at any stage; there is after all only going to be 24pp booklet and as I said earlier, I may be left off. I accept this as being part of the editorial role. Also, if I have given the impression that the first chapbook is only going to feature old (not meself y'understand!) dischargers. It will not be just old/past members but newer ones too BUT will have a historical flavour in that you and I and some others will feature. I do NOT want to do a 'greatest hits version of discharge and when I say 'historical perspective' it really means that. If Lazare features as he probably will, it will not follow that his old work will be published but more likely his newer stuff. Nor does it mean that i wont select CHM or one of the newer members but there is only 24pp. As much as I would love to have all current members on the first issue that simply isn't possible. Both you and Lazare and Robert are capable at times of posting reams of art (well, not reams but a fucking huge amount!) in any one given time. I don't think I should turn away from choosing longer bits if I think they fit.
Truly sorry if this is not the direction the majority, or your good self want. It struck me as a good way to start, a reference point springboard.
I have always seen discharge as being very much in the 'now' and although I want to publish some older bits it was not my intention to neglect all that discharge is for the sake of 'historical perspective'.
I have huge respect for Ruela, Robert, Aaron, Titac and all my team mates but we do have to start somewhere and I thought, to paraphrase Mary Poppins: "Let's start at the beginning as it is a very good place to start".
I will NOT be inviting Wolf or Richard Eichman to submit work nor will I be publishing their stuff having asked them for their okay to do so.
Me, Doriandra, Murmurists, Lazare, Junior, Robert (and that is as far as my historical research has taken me) will/might feature. Not necessarily stuff from d1, 2 or 3 but quite possibly from D4.

I hope this goes someway to explain?

I would really feel far more comfortable if as many of my team mates could Yeah or Nay me on this point.
x

Jaie said...

I mean I'm lazy.

doriandra said...

in answer to Murmurist, regarding what i planned to do with CB2, i just want to create a great mix of all current members which is essentially all CJ intends to do as well with CB1- since he is the actual onus of this whole fascinating collective, having him be editor of CB1 is lively and logical in that "starting at the beginning is a very good place to start".
i came second in the Discharge world so i can pick up CB2 and run.. or, i'd be happy to graciously hand that job over to Murmurists as you were there in the wee start as well.
i think that the submissions, regardless of who contributes, will on their own, just form the theme at the hands of each editor. it will appear like clouds bunching in the sky.. i have full trust in this group, i sat back and watched it blossom over every passing year, (my apologies for my absent times when my own gift of parlance dried and withered) but here it is, great talent. arranging it to honor the history and order of appearance of it's venerable characters seems fine with me.

doriandra said...

and furthermore....what's really wrong with doing "The Best of Dishcharge" 1-4 in tandem with CB'S 1-4?
throw in some fresh blood writings and art from newer members and you'd have quite a liberating mix of oddity which would simultaneously honor the past and welcome the future...and keep those excited about producing new work for D5 salivating and motivated.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

KEK>>>I believe that you have something for the first chapbook?

Forget my last remark to about not requiring stuff, send it over!!

Ruela said...

"The Best of Dishcharge"


It's a good idea.

murmurists said...

This all sounds great to me. All this muddling-through and negotiating ... we're getting there, for sure.

Thanks for your response CJ; and for your clarifications and adjustments. No problem my end - your revised plan sounds like a good one, I think. Can't wait to see what you've made.

Thanks for your response Doriandra. I totally agree with your faith in Discharge. I'm similarly excited to see what you come up with for CB2. Maybe I will do a chapbook in due course; but, at present, I'm happy to help others, collaborate etc. I see my input into Reverse Metal as my own attempt to keep things ticking over. So there's no rush for me.

Best wishes,

Anthony

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Thanks Murmurists.
Thanks Dee Dee.

Another thought...

As you all know, I have started a preliminary 'sketch' of how D5 might look but again, I would appreciate anyone with good HTML experience helping out. I am reasonably pleased with the look but following upon Matina's excellent design, well, it is a hard act to follow.

Ruela said...

Give me the password!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

EVERYONE!

PLEASE CHECK OUT D5 and SEE WHAT RUELA (the little genius) IS DOING.
FANTASTIC STUFF!!!

THANKS RUELA!

Aaron Held said...

I like it but may I make a suggestion to change background image, as much as i love the image it's hard to look at harsh colors... no wonder you guys always have sunglasses on haha ;)

Ruela said...

Thanks Sir CJ ;)




aaron ;))


Maybe the same image but
gray, black & white ?

Ruela said...

More suggestions please.


It's our house.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I have to say that I like it.

Ruela said...

Ok


perhaps the two things...

same image with colour
and
black & gray

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Sounds good to me. Let us see what the otheres think.

Aaron Held said...

cj I like to but for me to want to come back and look at it I think I would go color blind hahah if you guys wann keep it ya can it wouldn't kill me, i'll see how ruela suggestion looks.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blogs took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

cocaine jesus said...

Raymond, Raymond, accept this suggestion please
Take a large pole and some axle grease
Place the large pole where the sun don't shine
You are a waste of space but we don't really mind!

Aaron Held said...

that one might make their font page cj haha!

Lazare said...

My stuff is up for grabs. You can use it anywhichway you please. I think that's all I can do chapbook-wise...

Lazare said...

Except creating new stuff, of course.

doriandra said...

wow. real spiffy lame picture of gaping vaginas. is this an art site or satirical porno site?

TICTAC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TICTAC said...

I've been wondering about the same, doriandra...i'm glad i am not the only one to think so...

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I confess that I like to see art/images that shock. Not certain what I think of the vagina image. Not that I mind vaginas as they are the most wonderous, beautiful and divine of human body parts BUT this one looks more like a face? Not sure how I feel about seeing this rather odd picture.

Russell CJ Duffy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Russell CJ Duffy said...

PS. I am not opposed to having nude shoots here, Doriandra posted a fantastic image of herself and the site of her topless was, obviously as a bloke, exciting BUT, because of the content of the image as a whole it was also rather disturbing with the manequin beside her.
As humorous as seeing a womans fanny (sorry Dee Dee, fanny in the UK is vagina and not ass!)looking like a face may be it doesn't do much for me apart from make me think, momentarily, Blimey!
Still, there is no censorship here and anyone invited here has the implicit ability to post just what they like!

doriandra said...

i agree my dear cj -all is well. shock the fuck on!!!!