Hello all & happy new year. Discharge 5 is clearly off the ground running. Personally, I've been genuinely enthralled by the energy and invention of recent postings; and, really, it looks and feels like the very best of the Discharge series, I'd say. So, any worries we might have had earlier last year about the blog slowing down or being on the wane are, by now, a memory. It just gets better, in my view. I've seen strong writing, amazing imagery, and weird and wonderful uses of the moving image, as well as combinations of these; all making for an ever-changing and dynamic place one can visit several times a day without any sense of over-familiarity. I love the disorientation which your wild and provocative works provide. Plus, it's great to see Discharge morphing into related myspace pages, facebook and all. The more fractured and bewildering the better, I think. Keep moving. Keep splintering. The confusion is anti-admin, anti-normality. The migraine one gets as a result of chasing Discharge around is life-affirming!
We are nomads.
Best wishes,
Anthony
17 comments:
Ha Ha, migraine away!
I have to say that I agree with everything Anthony says here. Up until now my favourite of the discharge series had been 4 closely followed by the first ever discharge but this latest one, D5, is looking fantastic. Ruela has done an incredible job on both the look of the site and the work he is producing. In fact, as you rightly say, all the posts so far, words and images, have been quite remarkable.
Good to see Benoit, a close friend of Thierry, has rejoined us as has Little Shiva, Thierry's wife/lover/concubine. Also, Carmen has rejoined thanks, presumably to Aaron?
We have also been joined by Maya, Ulysses, C. L. DeMedeiros and Kane. X. Faucher. The party really has started!
The chapbook is well under way and I hope you all will approve and be pleased with what I have done. It will feature cocaine jesus, Doriandra, Murmurists, Junior, Lazare, Stickleback2, Kek-W, Jase, Aaron Held, Matina, Robert and Ruela. I am, at this incomplete stage reasonably happy with it. I have to say that I am enjoying being an acting editor but the hardest part has been leaving off Thierry Tillier and Tictac and other mememers whose work has been so good. I have decided to produce the images as large as possible. This may not have been the wisest course as I could have had more artists IF I had reduced the artwork image sizes but I felt that this would have reduced the effect I wanted and also somehow defild the chapbook.
Hope this makes sense. Hope you all like what I have done.
It should be available toward the middle or end of this month.
cj blunder Russ and limp parts!
ditto on all of the above, it's just so damn exciting- my head keeps splintering out in all directions just trying to absorb all these insanely cool postings that keep pouring in.
the chapbook is like that little gift, buried out in the yard that sends a high pitched beacon into your room at night, forcing you out the door clad in your pj's with dads flashlight clutched tightly in your wee hand.
can't wait to see what CJ has done with it and look forward to tackling the next one.
like a puppy in a sprinkler,
love,
doriandra
Thanks C.J.
open mind and some heart ;)
"We are nomads."
LOL M!
I am very much looking forward to Doriandra's chapbook. Certainly passing the 'baton' to her seems right.
The biggest problem I had was myself. I knew, as I had said that previously, that I wanted to give the first chapbook a 'historical' perspective. By that I meant a flavour of what had gone before to make the current discharge what it is. That is not so easy as I thought. The hardest part though is who to include and who to leave off. You end up feeling so guilty. That said, I am enjoying doing it and no doubt so will will Doriandra.
Question is this though: who will edit chapbook three?
Cheers for the positive reactions. Again, just to say, D5 is fantastic.
I'd be happy to edit Chapbook 3, CJ.
nomads for sure.
anthony go for it!
Murmurist seems like a good choice for chapbook 3.
you have my blessing children, go forth and make books of chap.
As for D5; fuck me... discharge is amazing and I am still proud and honoured to be part of it. Just wish I had more time/energy to produce and post.
I think M will make a terrific editor. I look foward to seeing his hand at the helm. Should prove to be as unique as the man himself.
I do have a concern though regarding the chapbook. The concerns are all mine but being the man I am, I feel responsible to all the team here to get the thing done.
And there's the rub. The person I asked to help with the production and design of the book has, sort of, let me down. I had hoped that we would have seen something by now but there is little sign of anything yet and it is of course mid-Jan and that was the aprroximate date, in my mind at least, that the first chapbook would have seen print.
Sorry for the delay. Each and every day I pursue her, in the nicest and politest way but, because it is all for free, I am rather captive to her good will.
Sorry again for this delay as I am sure you are all as keen as me to see the first one in print.
Go M!
thanks.
Cheers one and all for words of support. Much appreciated. CJ just say the word when three is in the offing, and I'll make it a priority. I just need some pointers as to how we produce these things physically. Obviously, I know how to make a kind of zine! I mean how you are doing yours and what the facilities are etc.
Ah, the old waiting around for someone to do something as a 'favour' but they end up not doing what they originally offered to do ... Nothing changes! How does one kick someone up the arse in those circumstances? Just had a similar situation with another project. The other person actively involved sacked the fucker.
Chapbook 3 will be called 'NOMADS', or will include that word, I'm predicting.
Love to all. x
this all sounds good. like how d5 is going I'm always amazed what others are producing on this site, I'm a little foggy on the chapbook but you can use anything from me i don't mind.
Good luck with it.
Aaron>>>I think for future discharge chapbooks who ever is acting as editor will ask certain individuals to create and send him/her new stuff. I have used (not in all cases) art you have already posted so that the first chapbook has a hisorical feel about it. Giving whoever reads the chapbook a sense that discharge has 'roots'.
PS. The next chapbook (first one has been delayed) will be edited by Dorindra and the third by Murmurists. No idea who will follow after that but I can't wait to see who does!
sometimes explosives help to motivate people..
Explosives are good. We like explosives.
B O O M!
Post a Comment