Friday, April 03, 2009

April 2009

Dear all,

Things have been bouncing here of late. Lots of variety; and, I'm personally glad to say, seemingly more visible interaction, in terms of comments. Happily, Discharge often appears utterly strange, utterly alien to me - as I log on and glance through. Those few moments, perhaps less than a second - the feeling of disorientation, of a kind of shock of the new - testify to the strength and ceaseless re/invention here. One's eyes are endlessly renewed - and that is so because of a genuine group application to the production of difference. We have never met anywhere and worked out some unified plan. But, despite the fantastic variety of Discharge, there is a terse and beautiful unity of purpose here. Really, I cannot remember a time when I wasn't part of this blog series; and, equally, I cannot envisage either being without it myself or it fading away into the ether.

Recently, many of our number - myself included - got invited to contribute to the equally fascinating 'the title we just forgot', by Jaan Patterson. Now, I am a huge fan of Jaan's many and endlessly-mutating outlets, and of the man himself. He makes lovely individual works - and there is a real recognisable voice there. I'm sure he would blush at my praise, but, Jaan, I love what you do; and, again, I cannot properly recall a time when I did not know your work. You send me off-kilter, and I thank you for the way your vision reboots my overly logical brain, unhinging me in ways which are often productive for me. Your new blog is, like Discharge, part of my life, every day I get to be on-line - and surely these blogs are cousins, with shared personnel.

How rich and amazing this environment is, eh guys?

With love and best wishes,

Anthony

27 comments:

Lazare said...

Beautiful words Anthony. I couldn't agree more.

I envision Jaan's "suRRism" as a kind of new movement, a great platform for talented minds. He's gathered a vast and fearsome team of contributors from all over the place and he's done it beautifully. I praise him for that and I'm more than happy to be a part of it.

On the other hand, I wouldn't speak of discharge as a "movement", as I perceive suRRism might be. Sure these sites are related, but the vibe is quite different to me. Discharge is... something else, different from the rest and difficult to define. It goes beyond mere accumulation. Scarce as my contribution might be, I save my prime efforts for it and try to add to it in the best way I can. It's become something very special and, as you point out, a part of our lives.

Here's wishing it goes on bold and brave, and best wishes to all.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

This site; this team has ignited the internet and had given a sense of adventure to may similar sites Jaan's being one of them. I too enjoy visiting Jaan's site as it is very much a sister act. Personally would not want to be involved in any 'new movement' though as I am still in love with this one. Having said that is not discharge "suRRism" itself?

But Lazare is right. discharge is not a movement. If anything surely it is an 'anti-movement'? One that is generated by ordinary people who only aspire to what is a god given gift and that is the human gift of creativity.

gods bless all who create here and who have gone forth (sound like Moses don't I?)and have/are promoting real art that is here and now and gone and lasting and undefinable.

x

Whatever, it is good to see such talent wandering freely and creating where they will on a multitude of sites.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Another thing that I should have mentioned but forgot is that the chapbook has been created but not printed. I ma finding great difficulties in getting the first one printed as it is so controversial (in some peoples opinions). I am trying to see if Stickleback would help as he, in real life, works for a printers who might help. As I say it would not be a problem if mine and the gorgeous Doriandra pieces weren't there. I hate to bend for the sake of corporate dictate but perhaps in future we might have to bear this in mind. Anyway, OVER TO YOU DEE DEE!
x

Russell CJ Duffy said...

PPS. "As If From A Distant Star" a piece by Robert, Kek-W, ccaine jesus, David Setchell and Jase will also be going out as a chapbook. I passionately belive that this idea (originally Kek's I think) is one way forward; more chapbooks are on the way. Not only team efforts, although I think that is THE way to go with each of us grouping in teams to create, but also individual efforts. I intend to PDF onto D5 AND print works by Stickleback2cocaine jesus, C.J.Duffy, Stickleback2 and any one else who wants to be included. Probably call the 'publishers' (or projects), A Belly Fish Publishing/discharge series creation.

Anonymous said...

OH MY!
blushed while my skin is blue... gaps for air–

well first off, we are family,
then discharge is suRRism. pe_R_iot¬

i also want to say here, i had been in touch with most that have been invited to the new blog before i got introduced to discharge,
such as many of them counts true.

it felt a little weird for sure you can imagine since i didn't want to "rip" anybody off to the new blog, it was rather a loyal friendship thing inviting also
my ancient ones too, hope and i feel everyone understood since this isn’t what I intended.

...also i'd love to say suRRism is a way of living
such as any gesture that is per/formed, at work in thoughts in dreams which are part of everyone,
it's a way of all past, it is no past it is now, no andre breton fascists group, therefore undRess Béton
so also andré pissoir, fernando béton and many more…

there's the alchemy of the 'gap' which we as friends deciphered,
(talking about goran here, the comrade i wrote the suRRism manifesto)
we found the physical error in the texture which now science also uncovered
by finding different system aridanus, my mind is blasted by you guys,
you are my vorbilder in what is to do, (look up to, A. & C.J
i say stop and
drop
on my knees
i suffer
i love
i want to fulfill my prophecy, not more not less
anyone is welcome to fully unload and record the unrecorded
as it happens already to anybody being aware.

there is no…

move and therapISS of your souls

love,
jaan

0=2

Anonymous said...

...please excuse, I'm also in a very bad state these weeks, so as explanations garble in any way lost
as it is never here,.-

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

btw. cruel science is too slow. science of not.
i can go on,
but there's no place like discharge!!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Jaan...You rock, you roll, you are one of the people who make D5 what it is. Do as many blogs as you like
x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron Held said...

Both blogs are great, I feel like posting different stuff on each but I feel discharge is morreee of a family...then say a bunch of people just posting stuff.

Anonymous said...

i see what you mean aaron,
but for me these 'people' are family just as well since times back, you just have gotten introduced to some here recently...
but times pass and you'll recognize the family soon enough is all over... ; )

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Evidence of how close and tight a unit we are will shortly be seen when I produce another chapbook which has been created bt Robery, Jase Daniels, Kek-w, David Setchell and my self. We all contributed to this single piece. This is the future of discharge. There will be more collaboration.

Ruela said...

Nothing like the first ;)

Discharge was my first collective blog,
I went to others and enjoyed but not with the same feeling...


Jaan "titlle..." is very interesting but I think contributors are more interessed to discharge images...
but I could be wrong...

murmurists said...

I love and respect the lot of you. We are all family no matter where or how we express ourselves. Again, I have enormous respect for Jaan - as a truly interesting 'voice' in my daily round of cyber-watching; and 'title' is already a wonderful and bewildering part of that, for me. I point I made was not about any kind of pouching of personnel. Maybe I over-egg this but, in my view, it all blends into one big rolling, inter-penetrating whole; so powerful, filled with meaning, completely inspiring, and all, in toto, for me, giving me such a sense of home. We've all, I think, lived on the periphery of this and that - in some diaspora. But now, via the internet in general and blogging in particular, we can form ourselves into a kind of community, another economy; one which offers ideas, support, feels robust, even physical; a place one can go to, and with relish. For me, largely speaking, it is the gallery idea of art which is ephemeral and dated. The true expression of now - if one is seeking that - is certainly here, in cyber. Discharge and title and everything else we might value and visit are not leaves in the breeze. I mean it when I say they are the stuff of another country.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Murmurists has again summed up quite eloquently and succinctly my feelings. SEEDS HAVE DROPPED -Roots are spreading. WE, in whatever name we choose, are art of the internet. discharge, title, even Lazare's splendid generated word site are all a part of that but I do not want to sit on my laurels and just keep repeating the same formula we have to explore new areas even if those areas have been trod before by others WE add new flavours. The chapbook idea is not new BUT we can, and I am sure will, start to produce chapbook CD's and DVD's maybe even audio poetry. And why not? We are art for now. two thousand and oh oh oh. The established way is the past, good and still relevant but past. We have the tools and ability to take it to other levels. Onwards and ever on.

Anonymous said...

discharge is home for you Ruela! i'm sure!
to me it's my blanket to keep me warm at nites.
anyone being interested in whatever interests one
must get what grabs one's attention, whatever it is and
takes... so this way movement of any sorts is guaranteed.
being a mal/dis/ordered dude, i haven't managed to contribute to anything but music collaborations, even then i'm so spread i can't focus clear, every char is color and shape smell and noise
as a day passes to spit out happenings i'm still uptime + sometimes times are some sun and fireballs passing fast nites being cozy safe from daytimes i love too but because nites reveal it sure
what flat time is dates when you can't count...

i'm in need of being told to do, otherwise i do.
chapbook dvd's whatever i might be able to put it together for print or such. i always love to create to destroy at the same time, so it'd be a task i'd love to join this time trying harder to focus on constant
output not leaving it in smoke, if help is need to get further producing any of works i'd wouldn't hesitate trying my very best to learn from any of you.

many regards to the family this way or that way...
anyway love move to all you!

murmurists said...

CJ - you're dead right, you unreconstructed Modernist, you! One has to continually 'make strange'. You make a great subtle and intelligent point I think in saying yes media has been used by others but we might bring something else to that. I see that all the time here. All those films would make one fuck off DVD. Ruela's GIFs same thing. The sounds I hear here deserve a CDR at least - which would be my chapbook contribution, if I can pre-empt that. We might be familial - as I started the use of family; but, as I went onto to say, better I think, these blogs are another country. In all that bollocks mainstream certainty - with its 'this potion / this experience will cure you, buy me, I will improve your life, guaranteed, when we know it's alie - we are, to quote Talking Heads, an 'Island of Doubt'; just like Zurich Dada in 1916; we just refuse and we keep refusing. But, being better than nihilists and simple naysayers we turn that refusal into a positivism, and we socialise that by posting, by our commitment, and by the connections we make here, on the blogs, by commenting, etc. I've seen that same thing in my activities on myspace, and via my netlabel, and the collaborative projects I am involved in. We are not lazy fantasists; neither are we fatalists; neither are we sitting on our big fat hands mouning about the mainstream and dragging everyone down. We are, instead, getting on with building something else somewhere else. It's all smacks of freedom; and whilst not devoid of its own problems and failings, we are alive, we insist upon being alive, despite the deadness and greatness of the situations we've been handed as non-conformists. English reserve inhabits me far too much - so I'm want to say these things too much. But, really, I think this is all pretty profound and life-affirming. Discharge et al flows with rivers of emotion and communality; these things are marked by, characterised by fun, and fun is political. We are doing something gloriously unquantifiable and uncommodifiable here. It's all economically and psychologically in complete contrast to the mainstream. Just as chapbooks might be a next step at further physicalising that potential, a next step, conceptually, might be to foreground such ideas and to explore them in what we do here and how we see what we do here.

murmurists said...

(PS. NB. In the above, just to be clear, re. my point about naysayers and nihilists, I wasn't saying the Dadaists were merely that. I should have made the point that they too took refusal and made something positive from it.)

Anonymous said...

dear A!
"We are not lazy fantasists; neither are we fatalists; neither are we sitting on our big fat hands mouning about the mainstream and...."

said so great as always!
the Rporter M ; )

murmurists said...

Thanks Jaan!

Aaron Held said...

Jaan I didn't mean to say it wasn't a close place because I didn't know anyone, I still don't know much people here.. but there something here that brings people together maybe not all of us but more so then I see other places.
both blogs are great places, we need to gather all this creative and destructive energy together into blogs, sites etc. like others have said a community, were all different, all with different types of creative styles but we all have the common interest to express ourselves the way we want in a place where we can feel comfortable, the internet is the best place for that!

THE INTERNET TRULY IS THE LAST WILD WEST LEST ON EARTH YEEEHA!

Anonymous said...

dear Aaron,
ups no worries, i fully understand you!
you're so right "THE INTERNET TRULY IS THE LAST WILD WEST LEST ON EARTH YEEEHA!"
you have my support and moon umbrellas!
love!

Ruela said...

LOL! Jaan!



M

Great ideas
about DVD & CDR....
Since the beginning of D5 I put there Dark & experimental sounds
like Lustmord, Shadow Project (Premature Ejaculation)
, Robert Rich...mixed with Dark Angels videos.
hope you all like it.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Ruela>>>I like very much and hope that Murmurists along with Kek and Aaron and anyne else who has music to present can publish it on M's forthcoming chapbook.

Ruela said...

Thanks C.J.
The víi-djêi ;)

murmurists said...

Thanks for the positive reactions to the CDR/DVD idea for the chapbook I'm due to do.

It'll be great.